Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sex Appeal for the Cause

Mary Travers gave “If I Had a Hammer” sex appeal with her silky, swanky, swinging blond hair – those amazing Cleopatra eyes; and that expressive mouth and gravelly voice. It seems to me that her sex appeal helped deliver the “Peace and Equality” message of my generation. Sex appeal helped the movement to magnetize and reach critical mass.

Peter, Paul and Mary, JFK, Bobby, Martin Luther King, Dylan, Baez even Mother Theresa and Ghandhi had it! So what is my definition of sex appeal? Sex appeal is not about the appealing for acts of sex. Sex appeal is that God-given mysterious transmuted powerful energy-source that once harnessed to visions and goals, can help accomplish great things.



Like Mary Travers, I want to use all I am and have been given for the benefit of my circle of influence - however large or small that is.

3 comments:

  1. huh, interesting. I will have to think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Mary's is considered sex appeal, would Peter Yarrow's be considered non-sex appeal? lol He hardly moves through the entire song and is so focused! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man!! Thanks for that, Pam! I got goosebumps when Mary sang "freedom!" I grew up listening to PP&M. My Dad had their records and I would beg him to play them. And, even though I was a child, my favorite song was NOT Puff, I think it was either Stewball or Blowin' in the Wind.

    ReplyDelete